Patrice Lumumba & Medgar Evers Both Would Be turning 92 today , New Afrikan Freedom Fighter Denmark Vesey Was Hung on This Day for Organizing a Slave Rebellion in Low Country South Carolina , Sengbe Pieh aka Cinque and Mande Political Prisoners Lead a Rebellion on The Amistad on This Day! Asé

#PatriceLumumbabirthday long live Patrice Lumumba!!

Patrice Lumumba was the first prime minister of the Democratic Republic of Congo, calling for national unity and overall African independence.

Born on July 2, 1925, in Onalua, Belgian Congo (now the Democratic Republic of the Congo), Patrice Lumumba was a writer and civic organizer before co-founding the Congolese National Movement. He became the first prime minister of the Democratic Republic of Congo with the country’s independence; yet massive unrest followed with other leaders’ uprisings, along with U.S. and Belgian involvement. Lumumba was killed on January 17, 1961.


Denmark Vesey, known as Telemaque while enslaved, (1767 – July 2, 1822) was a free black and former slave in Charleston, South Carolina who is noted for his plan for “the rising,” a major slave revolt in 1822; by some accounts, it would have involved thousands of slaves in the city and others on plantations miles away. A skilled carpenter, Vesey had won a lottery and purchased his freedom at age 32 in 1799. He had a good business and a family, but was not able to buy his wife and children out of slavery. Vesey became active in the Second Presbyterian Church; in 1818 he was among the founders of an AME Church in the city, which later became Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church. The first independent black denomination in The Nation

Vesey held numerous secret meetings and eventually gained the support of both slaves and free blacks throughout the city and countryside who were willing to fight for his cause. He managed to organize thousands of slaves who pledged to participate in his conspiracy. By using intimate family ties between those in the countryside and the city, Vesey created an extensive network of supporters

His plan was to form first a coordinated attack from multiple sides on the Charleston Meeting Street Arsenal. Once they secured their weapons, the conspirators planned to commandeer ships from the harbor and sail to Haiti, possibly with Haitian help.[1] Vesey and his followers also planned to kill white slaveholders throughout the city, as had been done in Haiti, and liberate the slaves. According to records of the French Consulate in Charleston, his group was reported to have numerous members who were “French Negroes,” slaves brought from Saint-Domingue by refugee masters. Long Live Denmark Vesey and The South Carolina’s New Afrikan People’s Liberation Army /NAPLA

A Bullet from the Back of a Bush”

— The Life and Death of Medgar Wiley Evers Born on Jul 2, 1925 in Decatur, Mississippi, In 1946, shortly after his twenty-first birthday, Medgar, his brother Charles, and four other blacks, went to the county clerk’s office to register to vote. Despite intimidations by whites and blacks (who wanted to avoid “trouble”), Medgar and Charles Evers and their friends were determined to exercise their right to vote on election day. Upon arriving at the Decatur courthouse, they were greeted by a posse of armed white men.
Faced with this strong deterrent, the group retreated…. ‘I made up my mind that it would not be like that again — at least not for me,’ Medgar said later.

Medgar decided that the Mississippi Delta area around Mound Bayou with its predominant population of impoverished black sharecroppers was the ideal place to organize new chapters of the organization. Out of Medgar’s fascination with Jomo Kenyatta and the Mau Mau uprising in Kenya, Medgar and Myrlie’s first son (born in 1953) was christened Darrel Kenyatta Evers. His efforts to recruit more members for the NAACP were fruitful; by late 1953, there were twenty-one NAACP branches (totalling 1,600 members) in Mississippi.

All across the South, blacks realized that they could act to change their world, that there were other ways to deal with racism besides acquiesecence.Evers continued his work for the NAACP, organizing a rather successful “buy black” campaign in which blacks supported black entrepreneurship with their purchasing dollars As part of “Operation Mississippi”

#AmistadRebellion On July 2, 1839, one of the Africans, Mende Warrior Sengbe Pieh aka Cinqué, freed himself and the other captives using a file that had been found and kept by a woman who, like them, had been on the Tecora (the ship that had transported them illegally as slaves from Africa to Cuba).

The Mende Africans killed the ship’s cook, Celestino, who had told them that they were to be killed and eaten by their captors. The slaves also killed Captain Ferrer; the struggle resulted as well in the deaths of two Africans. Two sailors escaped in a lifeboat. The Africans spared the lives of the two masters who could navigate the ship, José Ruiz and Pedro Montez, upon the condition that they would return the ship to Africa. They also spared the captain’s personal slave, Antonio, a creole, and used him as an interpreter with Ruiz and Montez.

The crew deceived the Africans and steered La Amistad north along the coast of the United States, where the ship was sighted repeatedly. They dropped anchor half a mile off eastern Long Island, New York, on August 26, 1839, at Culloden Point. Some of the Africans went ashore to procure water and provisions from the hamlet of Montauk. The vessel was discovered by the United States revenue cutter USS Washington. Lieutenant Thomas R. Gedney, commanding the cutter, saw some of the Africans on shore and, assisted by his officers and crew, took custody of La Amistad and the Africans.




Taking them to the port of New London, Connecticut, he presented officials with a written claim for his property rights under admiralty law for salvage of the vessel, the cargo, and the Africans. Gedney allegedly chose to land in Connecticut because slavery was still technically legal there, unlike in New York. He hoped to profit from sale of the Africans.Gedney transferred the captured Africans into the custody of the United States District Court for the District of Connecticut, at which time legal proceedings began.